7/26/07

Docendo Discimus: 'While we teach, we learn.'

This is a Latin proverb I picked up from somewhere. I like it so much I've considered having it put on a T-shirt. For me. Since learning with my kids is what I do.

My children and I are on very long journey. A Quest.

In literature a 'Quest' is an adventurous journey taken on by the protagonist of a story. The protagonist usually meets with and overcomes a series of obstacles, returning in the end with the benefits of knowledge and experience.

I think that about sums up our own particular quest called Homeschool. Seven years completed, only twelve years to go.

I've been learning all sorts of thing that I never learned in school. Such as Latin, and classical literature and higher math. And learning how to blog. My oldest, who is in high school this year, wants to learn to blog. So I decided I'd learn myself. Writing is something I've needed to get back to doing anyway. And this seems like a good enough place for it. I have high hopes that by writing every day I'll be a good example to my children. But I'm doing it for me as well. I've always enjoyed writing...but somewhere along the way my writing has gotten a little rusty.

You know, I never once dreamed during my own high school years that I'd be teaching children, much less my own. But here I am...teaching... and learning as I go.

No comments: